Axila - Axilla
The axilla (or armpit, underarm, or oxter) is the area on the human body directly under the joint where the arm connects to the shoulder. It also provides the under-arm sweat gland.
Anatomically, the boundaries of the axilla are:
- superiorly: by the outer border of first rib, superior border of scapula, and posterior border of clavicle
- medially: serratus anterior and by the ribcage
- anteriorly: by the pectoralis major, minor, and subclavius
- posteriorly: by the subscapularis above, and teres major and latissimus dorsi below
- laterally: by the intertubercular sulcus (coracobrachialis and the short head of the biceps brachii are in the axilla.
Anatomia geral > Partes corporis humani > Membro superior > Axila