The intertransversarii musculi are small muscles that pass between transverse processes, between articular and transverse processes or between mamillary and transverse processes.
They are separable into different groups:
- Intertransversarii lumborum:
- medial bundles run ventrocranially from mamillary processes to transverse (or accessory) processes
- Lateral bundles run between transverse processes
- Intertransversarii thoracis: continuation of the medial lumbar group in the thoracic region
- Intertransversarii cervicis
- Intertransversarii dorsales cervicis: bundles that run horizontally between cranial articular processes
- Intertransversarii medii cervicis: bundles that run cranioventrally from a cranial articular process to the caudal end of the transverse process skipping one vertebra in a cranial direction (C5 to C3 for example)
- Intertransversarii ventrales cervicis: bundles that run horizontally between caudal ends of two consecutive transverse processes
Origin: transverse processes, mamillary processes
Insertion: transverse processes, articular processes
Action: fixation and lateral flexion of the cervical and lumbar vertebral column
Nerve: Dorsal branches of the cervical, thoracic and lumbar nerves.
Illustrated Veterinary Anatomical Nomenclature - 3rd edittion - Gheorghe M. Constantinescu, Oskar Schaller - Enke