The fibula is described with 3 surfaces and 5 borders (but these numbers vary between species):
Text by Antoine Micheau, MD - Copyright IMAIOS
- Interosseous border on the medial surface for attachment of interosseous membrane. In carnivores, the interosseous border is fused with the cranial border.
- Medial border (only present in proximal half of fibula in carnivores)
- Lateral border (only present in proximal half of fibula in carnivores)
- Cranial border
- Caudal border
- Medial surface that faces the tibia.
- Lateral surface
- Caudal surface, between medial and lateral border.