Functional MRI of the brain
After reading this chapter, you should be able:
- Describe the cascade of phenomena linking neuronal activation and BOLD contrast
- List the MRI sequences adapted to functional explorations
- Present the basic steps of a functional MRI study: design of activation tasks, choice of paradigm, data acquisition, signal processing and statistical analysis of the results
- Functional MRI will only detect brain activation very indirectly, as variations in the T2* signal, following changes in the oxyHb/deoxyHb ratio, after neurovascular coupling triggered by neuronal activity.
- Data acquisition is carried out in T2*-weighted ultrafast sequences of the echo planar type, sensitive to BOLD contrast, during a succession of different repeated tasks following a paradigm.
- The signal variations are very weak and their analysis is based on a statistical comparison between different states of activation.
- The temporal resolution of fMRI, combined with the possibilities of morphological imaging, make MRI a modality of choice in the neurosciences.
- Habas. [Physiological basis of functional MRI]. Journal de radiologie. 2002 Nov;83(11):1737-41.
- Le Bihan and Lehericy. [Practical aspects of realization of a functional MRI]. Journal of neuroradiology. 1999 Mar;26(1 Suppl):S54-8.
- Gore. Principles and practice of functional MRI of the human brain. The Journal of clinical investigation. 2003 Jul;112(1):4-9.
- Voss, Zevin. Functional MR imaging at 3.0 T versus 1.5 T: a practical review. Neuroimaging clinics of North America. 2006 May;16(2):285-97, x.
- Golay, de Zwart. Parallel imaging techniques in functional MRI. Top Magn Reson Imaging. 2004 Aug;15(4):255-65.
- Di Salle, Esposito. High field functional MRI. European journal of radiology. 2003 Nov;48(2):138-45.
- Delmaire, Krainik. [Functional magnetic resonance imaging: physiopathology, techniques and applications.]. Journal de radiologie. 2007 Mar;88(3 Pt 2):497-509
Olea Medical® case report on early & late MR diffusion follow-up of a stroke using CT perfusion.
Pourquoi avoir une gestion en temps en réel de la dose d'irradiation des patients ?
BRACCO IMAGING FRANCE
Ziehm Vision RFD Hybrid Edition: Mobility and flexibility – the difference in an emergency
Agfa HealthCare Special Report Dose Management: because life is precious.
Olea Medical® literature meta-analysis on CTP thresholds in acute stroke